Friday, May 8, 2009

Rules Violations Get "Everyone"

I could make excuses like it was cold (40 degrees), but the simple fact is I was penalized two strokes under Rule 11-5 in an "Eskimo" tournament this winter. I should have read the rules sheet. Instead, I asked the starter, "what tees are we playing?" Long story short, we played the BLACK Tees on the first hole and I made eagle on the make-shift par-6 from the 1st tee to the 8th green with three great shots and holed a 20-footer. When our group got to the second hole, which was the 18th tee, I teed it up on the BLACK tees and played a nice sand wedge over the pond on the 70-yard hole to the 10th green.

"Jay, why are you the first divot?" one of my fellow-competitors asked. I looked around befuddled. We were about sixth or seventh group to tee off and there should have been numerous divots. About then we noticed the BLUE tees about 15-yards to the right of where the BLACK tees were and there were lots of divots. I immediately knew I had played the wrong tees and also immediately knew from 19 years of studying (and sometimes teaching) the rules of golf the penalty was two strokes and I had to correct my mistake.

I wanted to blame somebody else - but the real truth is I did not read the rules sheet, which read "BLUE tees #2." It was cold, and I was trying to stay warm at the first tee. Long story short, I shot a four-under par total for 9 holes, but with the two stroke penalty, wound up at two-under par. I lost the tournament by one stroke. I felt foolish. I should have read the rules sheet. Had I not made eagle on #1 and had the honor on #2, somebody else would have been penalized. Rules have consequences when they are violated - and this time it cost me the tournament and a nice gift certificate in the golf shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment